"Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume."

I checked the "My Computer" window, and F: drive was assigned to my primary hard drive. C: and E: drives had been assigned to my the 2 slots in my 7-in-1 card reader as "Removable Disk(s)", and my CD drive was designated as D: drive.
 
So how do I change the drive letter names within Windows XP so that C: represents my primary hard drive? I can manually change the current drive letters set for the 7-in-1 card reader using the XP Disk Management snap-in, but when I try to change my hard drve's letter, I receive an error message that says "Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume." 
 
Solution:



1. Start regedit
2. Go to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
3. Find the drive letter you want to change to (new). Look for "\DosDevices\C:".
4. Right-click \DosDevices\C:, and then click Rename.
5. Rename it to an unused drive letter "\DosDevices\Z:". This frees up drive letter C.
6. Find the drive letter you want changed. Look for "\DosDevices\F:".
7. Right-click \DosDevices\F:, and then click Rename.
8. Rename it to the appropriate (new) drive letter "\DosDevices\C:".
9. Click the value for \DosDevices\Z:, click Rename, and then name it back to "\DosDevices\F:".
10. Restart the computer.
 
Here is a link to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article that provides the instructions.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188

2 comments:

  Anonymous

September 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Thanks for the big image of an exclamation point. I probably should have paid it greater respect, since following these instructions has totally locked me out of my machine. But that's just how I live -- on the edge. I'm a rebel.

;p~

  Anonymous

June 3, 2017 at 3:14 AM

This worked perfectly. Really saved my butt.